Since I want to blog and have no better material, here's a reflection on some of the museum's past and current exhibitions. It's not the Louvre, but after all, it is one of the top university art museums in the nation. It's too bad I'm not more of an art person. My appreciation for some of this stuff has gone up, and for some of it...well...Of course, my all-time favorite is
Paths to Impressionism: French and American Landscape Paintings from the Worcester Art Museum
I think this was the first Monet ever in Utah. What a milestone!
Pissarro, Lacroix Island at Rouen
John Singer Sargent, Claude Monet painting by the edge of a woodThe Intimate Eye: Drawings by Burton Silverman

Not that exciting. Although this girl kind of reminds me of Molly.Architecture of Absence: photographs by Candida Höfer
I think these are kind of cool. She likes libraries and palaces.






Print study room favorites
Renoir!!! I love his piano stuff, especially this one:
Angel with Child, Giovanni VitalbaCliché and Collusion: Video works by Grant Stevens
This one is supposed to be about how the media affects us. Some of the screens had actual video, some were words with music and some were words with audio narration--except the narration didn't exactly match. They had names like "Learn your ADDs" and "Think right now."
That's the artist. This setup had its own room and was called Turtle Twilight or some such thing. Didn't get the point but it was very relaxing to sit in there in the dark and listen to the pseudo-music and watch the color float across the screen when there was no one else in the gallery. There was another separate room that had words going across three of the walls like a screensaver, a disco ball in the middle of the ceiling, and some old love song playing.
Splendor and Spectacle: Images of Dance from Court Ballet to Broadway
This was kind of fun because it was up during my beginning ballet class.

Minerva Teichert: Pageants in Paint
I'd never been a huge Minerva fan but she definitely grew on me during this show, one of the best exhibits I've seen at the MOA.
Queen Esther
Love Story
Miracle of the Gulls
First VisionAmerican Dreams: selections from the museum's permanent collection that will be on display for eternity
Some samples:
Riding the Girder, Mahonri M. Young
Abraham Lincoln—the President, Avard Fairbanks. I'm a fan!
Fallen Monarchs, William Bliss Baker
Premier Chagrin, Daniel Ridgway Knight
SEFA, Frank Riggs. This one is supposed to be a bird-like figure representing America's fascination with flight.
Crossing the Mississippi on the Ice, C. C. A. Christensen
Grain Fields, Edwin Evans (inspired by Monet!)
Smokey Face, N. C. Wyeth
In the Sun, Julian Alden Weir
Round Dance, Maynard Dixon. Gotta love Maynard. We sure have our share of him.
This is my favorite. Not really, but it's better than the next one...
Quite possibly my least favorite piece of "art" ever. So hideous. It's called "Seer." It's supposed to be all about Utah and was built specifically for this spot. I think everyone who works in the MOA has a secret or not-so-secret desire to destroy it. And the inspiration for the shape supposedly came from...
the Winged Victory of Samothrace, which I have also seen. It's way cooler.Turning Point: the demise of modernism and the rebirth of meaning in American art
This is probably my favorite from that exhibit. And the only one I'm posting. I like blue and yellow, but this is the rebirth of meaning in American art? Come on.Just Enough is More: the Graphic Design of Milton Glaser
He designed this. Around this time half of campus went through a phase in which they wore our "I love BYU" shirts all the time.
A little weird, but at least these bright colors are recognizable objects. I can't do abstract, as you've probably noticed.

Windows on a Hidden World: Japanese Woodblock Prints
This just opened a few weeks ago. I always enjoy watching the woodshop guys build and paint a new exhibit. Sometimes more than looking at it. :)
I have to admit, the fine detail in these is pretty amazing considering the tools they had to work with. And I like snow.
But do I really want to look at this? Slightly frightening.
Dismantling Geneva Steel: photographs by Chris Dunker
I don't even know what to say about these. They're cool in a way, I guess. He's a good photographer but I'm not really interested in looking at photos of a steel mill being torn down. I really like the way they set it up, though--the walls are all black so the photos really stand out, almost like they're lit up.
Beholding Salvation: Images of Christ
Nativity, Brian Kershisnik

Adoration of the Shepherds, Eustache Le Sueur
Christ Healing the Sick at Bethesda, Carl Bloch. This is definitely my all-time favorite MOA work. Its home was Copenhagen from 1883, when it was painted, to 2001, when it came to BYU. It's one of the few paintings from Beholding Salvation that's still on display, and was actually talked about on campus. Very cool.
4 comments:
I share your feelings on the huge, ugly sculpture
Your post is a nice Sunday-morning surprise; I really enjoyed it; will go back to it - thanks, Summer!
You didn't post the name of the 'huge, ugly sculpture': The Seer. And yes, EVERYone wants to destroy it, except Paul. He has a fierce desire to protect it from both physical and verbal abuse.
The Bloch painting is also one of my favorite. Make sure you buy a print while you're still an employee. You can get them for super cheap (not framed) with your employee discount. Prints also make good gifts.
Summer! I totally went to that exhibit and saw the Turtle at Twiligth thing, and the love room to. I thought it was totally random! I did not get the point of it at all. :)
Post a Comment